Friday, May 22, 2015

A Dark Night at Frying Pan Lake



Oregon Grape is blooming


It was wet, misty, cool and mysterious. I started at the trail head to trail 492, headed toward Jackpot Meadows, then on to Frying Pan Lake. It was alternating misty and slightly drizzly. The trail had more than a few blowdowns that had not been cleared yet.





I have not identified this one yet


White Trillium was blooming on the way down to the Salmon River. From there, I made the looong climb of to Jackpot Meadows. There were some nice places to camp near the rushing, steep creek, but I decided to push on to my original destination, Frying Pan Lake.




I made it to the lake just near dusk, with enough time to set up camp and get water, then take a walk to the mist-shrouded lake. This is a very nice area near some logging activities. The lake has a large swamp area on the east side where I camped. It is full of Swamp Marigold, one of my favorite edibles from long ago in New England.



















The lake was very misty and mysterious. I felt like the Loch Ness Monster was going to float by and tip its hat to me as it passed. I could just barely make out some island looking spots in the lake.



At camp, I made dinner and relaxed. I disconnected the center line of my Hennessey hammock and was very comfortable while I ate and the mist rolled in more heavily, accompanied by a steady light drizzle. It cooled down but did not get very cold. I reconnect the center line, and the Hennessey Hammock was as cozy as ever.





I slept well, woke up to hot chocolate and oatmeal, and packed. I wanted to leave a little early to have time to finish all the stuff I had left to do at home, and to prep the house for the return of my best friend Valerie from her four-week trip to Arizona to help out her mom.




The walk out was a bit long but very pleasant, 95% downhill. We will return!

No comments:

Post a Comment