Monday, May 25, 2015

Bushcraft Knife Test: Cold Steel vs. Mora vs. Black Cloud

These are the players:
Cold Steel Scout; Cold Steel Master Hunter; Mora Heavy Duty; Black Cloud Knives Shark.

I decided to conduct a test with my comments and impressions of four knives that I have used for the past 10-15 years, with the exception of the Mora, which I have used for only a short time.

There is little new in this video compared to many others on YouTube, except for the comparison between these four knives at the same time, performing similar tasks.

My ultimate verdict is that all four of these knives do a great job in the bushcraft arena. They are durable, comfortable and great quality. The Cold Steel Master Hunter is a great, lightweight knife that is very flexible in its roles. The Cold Steel Scout is a bit large and heavy for bushcraft. It is  a better survival knife, but I would not feel disappointed if it was the only the knife I had. The edge chipping is the real concern here, and I will be testing this out more. The Mora is a classic bushcraft knife, and it is easy to see why. I would feel pretty darn good if I had the combination of the Mora and the Bahco Laplander. That combination can take on just about any bushcraft or survival task. The Black Cloud Knives Shark is a great player here also. It has the best steel, an excellent handle, and holds an edge best while still being easy to sharpen. It is "Black Cloud Sharp"! Again, the BCK Shark and the Bahco Laplander are an ideal combination that I feel confident can handle every outdoors situation.

Steels:

Cold Steel Master Hunter: Carbon V
Cold Steel Scout: Carbon V
Mora Heavy Duty: Sandvik

Black Cloud Knives Shark: ATS-34 with special heat treatment.



No comments:

Post a Comment